I need help with answering questions for reading guide based on the reading of Chapter 9 â?What do we own one another?â? and 10 â??Justice and the common Goodâ?Here is a link to the book : http://www.academia.edu/4110296/Justice_Whats_the_…
Unformatted Attachment Preview
Sandel Chapter 9 Reading Guide
1. The beginning of this chapter discusses reasons for and against apologizing
for wrongs committed by nation-states. There are many documented cases of
companies committing dehumanizing acts. While you read the nation-state
focus in this book, think about it from the perspective of businesses and the
country of origin (if there is one) of the company.
2. On what does the principled objection to official apologies rest?
3. Thoroughly explain the doctrine of moral individualism in your own words.
4. According to John Locke, on what must legitimate government be based?
5. How did Kant understand the â??choosing self?â?
6. How did Rawls understand the issue of consent as it relates to society being a
7. What do Kantâ??s idea of an autonomous will and Rawlsâ?? idea of a hypothetical
agreement behind a veil of ignorance have in common?
8. For Aristotle, what was the purpose of politics?
9. For Aristotle, what are arguments about justice really about?
10. A method that is teleological is one that is oriented toward a particular end. If
a teleological method is theologicalâ??then God is the ultimate endâ??seeing
the face of God at oneâ??s death, being Christian during oneâ??s life, etc. We also
have more proximate ends that we strive for. In this context we are trying to
figure out what the â??endâ? is that our whole being is oriented toward. A
utilitarian is oriented wholly toward happiness. Someone might choose
money, power or influence as their ultimate end. You can often see what
oneâ??s end is by looking at the focus of their time and their striving. Teleology
refers to the â??telosâ? (Greek word for end) that one is striving for.
11. Why do Kant and Rawls reject Aristotleâ??s teleology?
12. How does Sandel see modern liberal political thought weighing in on these
13. What do egalitarian liberals favor and why?
14. About what do libertarians disagree with egalitarians?
15. What is the appeal of egalitarian or libertarian theories of justice?
16. Why does Sandel believe that the weaknesses of the liberal conception of
freedom are bound up with its appeal?
17. Explain MacIntyreâ??s â??narrative conceptionâ? in your own words. How does
narrative influence our answer to the question, What am I to do?
18. For MacIntyre, what is moral deliberation about?
19. For MacIntyre and Aristotle, the narrative or teleological aspect of moral
reflection is bound up with what? What does this mean?
20. According to the liberal conception of justice, what do we owe people?
21. What does the narrative conception think about the liberal conception of
22. What are obligations of solidarity or membership?
23. What point is Sandel making with the family, pilot, Ethiopian Jews,
immigration and â??Buy Americanâ? examples? Do you agreeâ??why or why not?
24. In the two examples of the brothers taking different approaches to turning
their wayward brothers in, what do you think is at stake? What are the
underlying values and how do you decide what they should have done?
25. Why does Aristotle find the conceptions of justice considered previously
Sandel Chapter 10 Reading Guide
1. Why would Obama disagree with Kennedyâ??s response about the role of his
religion in his decision-making as president?
2. Why does Rawls argue for â??liberal neutralityâ? in the public sphere?
3. What two reasons does Sandel give for seeing the attempt to detach
arguments about justice and rights from arguments about the good life as
4. What is the point Sandel is making in the abortion and stem cell research
5. What is the point Sandel is making with the same-sex marriage case?
6. According to Sandel, what are the weakness of the welfare and freedom
arguments for justice?
7. Why does he choose virtue?
Purchase answer to see full
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.