I’m looking for a word document that has the answers to the questions provided in the Oceanography document. Google Earth is required, and I have two KMZ documents needed (Google Earth files) that I can give over google drive. There’s a total of 25 questions.
Unformatted Attachment Preview
Oceanography Homework 1: Fun with Google Earth
IMPORTANTâ?¦â?¦â?¦â?¦.READ THIS first:
This exercise uses Google Earth (http://www.google.com/earth/index.html ) and Google
Earth overlays (.kmz files created by various members of the scientific community) and
information from the USGS website including seismic data and maps. To import these
files into Google Earth, simply pick them up with the cursor and drop them into Google
Earth. You can activate/deactivate the individual layers in the â??Temporary Placesâ?
folder located on the panel on the left.
FIRST and FOREMOST: Download Google Earth:
Never used Google Earth Before? Perhaps try a Google Earth Tutorials:
1. Go to: http://www.google.com/earth/learn/beginner.html
and select the Navigation and Drawing and Measuring tours to familiarize yourself with
basic navigation in Google Earth.
Updating program if you already have Google Earth on your computer:
Since Google earth often has updates, please do the following steps prior to starting the
1. Open Google Earth on the laptop. Go to â??helpâ? and select â??check for updates online
and update if available or go to â?? http://www.google.com/intl/en/earth/index.html
â?? for the update.
2. Please uncheck the box for: â??Include Google Chrome, a fast new browser for
Windows and Macâ?.
Then select â??agree and downloadâ?
DELIVERABLES:For this lab, you will need to record your answers in a separate word
document. ONLY PROVIDE THE ANSWERS FOR THESE QUESTIONS IN THE DOCUMENT
YOU TURN IN. You should include your name on the first line of the document and the
second line should read: Lab 1 Introduction to google earth and Plate Tectonics.
Number each of your answers according to the question in this document. Each answer
must be on a different line.
Exercise 1: Latitude and Longitude
Turn on the latitude and longitude grid. Go to â??Viewâ? from the top menu and select
Look at the very bottom of your screen. The Latitude, Longitude and elevation of your
cursor are shown. Negative elevation is depth below sea level.
(You can change from the units from decimal degrees to degrees, minutes, and seconds, AND from meters
to feet by going to â??Google Earthâ? from the top menu, then â??Preferencesâ?.)
1. Locate 0o Longitude. What is the name of this line? __________________________
2. Locate 180o Longitude. This line is called the International Date Line or the
3. While looking at 180o Longitude, what general direction are the Hawaiian Islands
located (east or west direction) of this line ? _________________
4. Search for Mauna Kea (use the search box) and zoom in until you get a blue/grey
square. Place your cursor over the center of it. What is the Latitude and
Longitude (degrees and minutes only) of Mauna Kea in Hawaii?
5. What is the Lat/ Long (degrees and minutes only) of the Loihi seamount?
6. What is the depth of the seamount (in meters)? ____________________
7. Briefly describe the significance of Loihi with respect to the Hawaiian Islands.
Exercise 2: Measuring Distances
Using the ruler (available along the toolbar at the top as the ruler icon), set the
distance units to Kilometers and measure the following with the ruler in Google Earth:
8. Approximately how far is Mauna Kea from Loihi seamount (in km)? _____________
9. Search and proceed to the island of Guam. What major deep ocean basin feature is
directly east of Guam? You may need to zoom out a bit in order to get some
Now zoom out and head to Florida!
10. Using the ruler tool, how far from Floridaâ??s east coast is the Mid Atlantic
Exercise 4: Plate Tectonics
Plate Boundaries â?? Recall: there are 3 basic types of plate boundaries:
Convergent â?? When plates come together, one plate will be subducted under the
other. This forms features such as mountains, island arc systems, and ocean trenches.
Continent â?? Continent â?? These often form mountain ranges.
Continent- Oceanic â?? The denser oceanic plate subducts under the less dense
Oceanic-Oceanic â?? The older and denser oceanic plate will subduct under the
younger less dense oceanic plate.
Divergent â?? When plates move apart it creates spreading centers that show up as sea
floor spreading zones in oceanic crust, and rift valleys in continental crust.
Transform â?? When plates slide past each other. They are very common in oceans
where they offset mid-ocean ridge. Now go back to Google Earth!
DRAG and DROP the â??Earths_Tectonic_Plates.kmzâ? file onto Google Earth. You
should now be able to see the location and nature of the plate boundaries.
11. What is the main plate boundary type found at the Mid-Atlantic Ridge?
12. What type of boundary is found between the South American Plate and the Nazca
13. What type of plate boundary runs through California?
14. What type of present-day collision formed the Himalayan Mountains at the
boundary between the Indian Plate and the Eurasian Plate?
Now, DRAG AND DROP â??seafloor_age_10my_isochrons.kmzâ? into Google Earth
15. What is the approximate age of the crust at the Mid Atlantic Ridge plate boundary?
16. What is the approximate age of the oceanic crust off the eastern seaboard of North
17. Proceed to the oceanic crust off the coast of Oregon. What is the age of the crust
18. Why is the crust so young off the coast of the Pacific Northwest?
19. Look at the divergent plate boundary in the south Pacific west of South America.
How wide (east to west) is the 0 -10 Ma crust along this plate boundary? (use the
20. How wide is the 0 â?? 10 Ma crust along the Mid Atlantic Ridge?
21. Why is there is such a dramatic differences between the widths of the youngest
crust along these two mid ocean ridges?
22. Now, zoom back over to the Mid Atlantic Ridge. Describe how ocean depth
changes as you go from the Mid Atlantic Ridge plate boundary east toward the coast of
Europe. Give specific depths.
23. If you start at the Mid Atlantic Ridge and Move WEST toward North America, do you
observe the same pattern of depth variation?
You can now deactivate the â??seafloor_age_10my_isochrons.kmzâ? layer. To do
this, click the box next to that layer, on the left under â??Placesâ?
Now, go to the island of Tonga (if you donâ??t know where this is, type â??Tongaâ? into the
READ THIS: Make sure you have a distance scale at the bottom left. If you donâ??t, go to
â??VIEWâ? at the top of the screen, and click â??Scale Legendâ? and it should appear. Youâ??ll
want kilometers instead of miles, so again at the top, click on â??Google Earthâ? >
â?Preferencesâ? and then find â??Units of Measurementâ? and select â??meters, kilometersâ?.
Ok, Tonga is an island that sits near a convergent a plate boundary (disregard the
divergent plate boundary labeled here-the red line). Make sure you are properly
zoomed out (field of view of the screen at ~1500km or so).
24. Describe how the ocean depth changes as you approach and cross the Tonga plate
boundary from ~500 km east of Tonga to ~250 km west. Give specific depths.
25. What specific plate tectonic feature did you just cross?
Purchase answer to see full
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.