Chapter 3 of Good Business explains the concept of stewardship in Catholic social teaching. Please give an example of how businesses could be good stewards over what they have access to. You can give examples from your own work experience or others’ work experiences in your family or from news stories.Chapter 4 of Good Business explains the concept of the Preferential Option for the Poor in Catholic social teaching. Please give an example of how the practices of some business can reduce poverty or how they contribute to the worsening of poverty. (Do not give an example of business being able to contribute money to charities. Think about how business could be a force for the alleviating of poverty, while still being a for-profit enterprise.) You can give examples from your own work experience or others’ work experiences in your family or from news stories.Please find attached the reading guide for ch3 and 4
Unformatted Attachment Preview
1. According to the creation stories in Genesis, how should we view the value of creation?
According to the creation stories in Genesis, we should view the value of creation as a goodness
that goes to the core of everything brought into existence. People should give importance to
creative and take care of it properly.
2. How is the command in Genesis for humans to have â??dominionâ? over creation to be
The command in Genesis for humans means that humans should create liveable situations and it
does not mean domination.
3. What is the concept of the sabbatical year supposed to communicate to humans?
The concept is supposed to say to humans to take care of the poor and give time for them.
4. What is the jubilee year and why was this supposed to be celebrated?
Jubilee year is the fiftieth year and it should be celebrated to proclaim liberty in the land. People
should return to their family.
5. In the Cycle of Baal, why is a disposition of â??ownershipâ? problematic?
The disposition of ownership problematic because when the prosperous people adopt the
ownership disposition, others suffer. The owners start focusing on accumulating wealth and
power and that creates social stratification.
6. How is Jesusâ?? understanding of his ministry consistent with the Old Testament concept
Jesus reads from the ancient Jewish scrolls and preach in the synagogue and Luke situates Jesus
within the context of Godâ??s promises in the Old Testament that shows the continuation of the
theme of the jubilee.
7. What does the passage in Matthew 25 say is central to life if one is to attain eternal
The passage says that being righteous is central to life to get eternal salvation and that is by
feeding the hungry and helping the poor.
8. What are two approaches to determining oneâ??s disposition toward material goods and
The two approaches to determining the disposition of a person toward material goods and
property is to know whether they will be foregoers or forget about their wealth to follow Jesus or
if they think Jesus is not important and continue on acquiring wealth, then that is another
9. How would you describe your disposition toward possessions?
My disposition toward possessions is about being wealthy. As I want to help my small family
and my relatives who are in need. It is a world of materialistic lives. Thus I too, want to build a
life for my family and to make sure I help those who are in desperate poverty.
1. Give 3 reasons that explain how the concept of â??charityâ? in the Christian tradition and
the to of the â??preferential option for the poorâ? are different:
(1) Charity is closely related to love whereas justice is more closely related to the preferential
option for the poor.
(2) While the preferential option for the poor which is concerned with the cause of poverty,
Charity seeks to alleviate the situation.
(3) Unlike preferential option for the poor which demand those seeking to end poverty to
become part of poverty stricken community in their daily life and to build relation with them,
charity is just a short-term reallocation of wealth.
2. Up until this point in your life, did you grow up with more of a â??charityâ?
understanding/commitment or a POFP understanding/commitment, or neither? Explain
Yes, my parents always insisted on helping the poor by donating money, especially during
festivities. This was a form of showing thanksgiving for the blessings in our life. Up until now, I
only knew of charity but nothing about POFP.
3. How does the interpretative lens, or hermeneutic, of the POFP call us to view the
The interpretative lens of the POFP calls on us to see and interpret the world from the
perspective of the poor. Fred Kamer is one of the theologians who claim that the world looks
completely different from the perspective of the poor and marginalized.
4. What would it mean for you to adopt more of a POFP disposition in your life?
Adopting a POFP disposition would require that I understand more of what poor people feel. It
would also require my actions towards reducing inequalities being experienced in the world. If at
any point in my life I get to operate a business, I will ensure fair treatment for the poor and do
my best to improve their situation.
5. When the Genesis creation stories are read from the perspective of the POFP, what is
The preferential from the Bible describes the origin of man. From the story, itâ??s emphasized that
all people are created in the likeness of God. This shows that all the people no matter rich or poor
are equal and important in the eyes of God. From the story; we learn that the poor should not be
sidelined from the community but should be accorded equal opportunities.
6. How does the book of Exodus shape our understanding of the POFP?
From the book of Exodus, God demonstrates that poor people ought to be treated fairly. God
demonstrate His love for the Hebrew by rescuing them from the captivity in Egypt. This shows
Godâ??s for all people irrespective of being poor or not.
7. How is Jesus understood to taking a POFP in what is recounted in the Gospels?
From the different stories written in the gospel concerning Jesus, it is demonstrated his great
compassion for the poor and showed them, great love. Most of His miracles were towards the
poor people, and this further demonstrates Godâ??s love for the poor. Jesus had a deep
understanding for the POFP since he always wanted to uplift their lives by living within their
8. What are four characteristics given for describing theoretical capitalism in this chapter?
(1) Capital theory is portrayed as lacking ideas and any means to prevent the rise of dictatorial
(2) Self-interest could be the reason to why capitalists evade discussions of reducing income
disparities and uneven distribution of resources.
(3) Capitalism has developed means of ensuring minimal government interferences on the
market economy to ensure dominance.
(4) Theoretical capitalism has a somewhat disadvantaged and simple notion about economic
power and the difficulties allied with its balanced accumulation.
9. Do you agree with these critiques of capitalism? Why or why not?
Yes, I agree with the critiques of capitalism since it has greatly contributed to the poverty in the
world. This is because most businesses keep most of their profits while paying little to their
employees contributing to the poverty despite those employees being the generators of the
10. What is the POFP deeply suspicious of and why?
POFP is a deep concern with the centralization of both political and economic power. These
uncertainties are based on the criticism of chain of command that is taken from the Bible.
11. Why does economic inequality receive a â??cold receptionâ? in the POFP?
Economic inequality received a cold reaction because the jubilee year regulation in the book of
Leviticus and impartiality is present even in the early Israelite society that they practiced during
12. How does this chapter characterize the values and theoretical underpinnings of laissezfaire capitalism?
This chapter thinks that laisse-fair capitalism as undesirable for the market since it favors the
inventive and hardworking chances but will punish the indolent, thoughtless, and fearful.
13. What is opportunity egalitarianism?
Opportunity egalitarianism provides the same access and prospect to all. All individuals who
partake in the market are accorded similar opportunities in order to succeed in the business
14. According to the author, is opportunity egalitarianism a reality in the U.S. capitalistic
system? Do you agree? Explain.
The author indicates that opportunity egalitarianism is not being practiced in the U.S. He states
that a capitalistic idea which favours the rich at the expense of the poor has overtaken
egalitarianism. This is evident with the ever growing gap between the poor and the rich despite
government interventions. The rich are further treated in better ways compared to the poor.
15. What type of economic relations does a preferential option for the poor call for?
Preferential option for the poor calls for diverse social organizations associated to those offered
by neoclassical capitalism. It founded on doctrine of divine intervention.
16. According to POFP, how are we to understand ownership and distribution of goods?
According to POFP, all should know that properties are the common bequest to all people and no
one can own them individually since they belong to all humans.
17. In neoclassical theory, the right to private property is an absolute right. How does
CST understand the right to private property? Explain what this means in your words.
According to CST, the right to private property is supposed to follow universal destination of
goods since it is for the common good.CST therefore doesnâ??t follow hierarchal orders, and it is
only when others do not need these resources that one is allowed to have private property.
18. Why is CST concerned with accumulation and institutionalization of all forms of social
power and hierarchical orders?
According to CST, POFP and hierarchical orders undermine human dignity concept and absolute
sovereignty since God made everything and it is Him who own everything and not humans,
Purchase answer to see full
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.